Cannonball Submissions

Cannonball Submissions

Want to be a part of the 2021 Cannonball Festival?

The 2021 Cannonball Festival has already been cast, but we are looking for a few teens age 13-19 who might be interested in working backstage on the festival! Please email cypt@cypt.ca if you are interested.

Want to be a part of the 2022 Cannonball Festival?

Welcome to our Cannonball Information Page. This page contains exactly 61% what you need to know about putting your play in CYPT’s Annual Cannonball Festival! The other 39% can be explained to you at our upcoming information meeting, tentatively scheduled for August 22, 2021 at 7pm. Email cypt@cypt.ca if you’d like to attend.

FAQs

What is Cannonball?

Cannonball is a festival of youth-driven theatre now entering its sixth year at Calgary Young People’s Theatre. It is a completely free opportunity for youth artists to create the theatre they want to make! Each year, several one act plays are chosen to be part of this festival which takes place in May.

Each show selected is allowed to audition for actors, and is provided a small budget to be used on design elements. Our team will coach you through the process of writing, directing, designing, and stage managing, so no experience is necessary!

But wait. What about the pandemic?

Great question. The 2020 Cannonball Festival was cancelled due to the pandemic, and the 2021 Festival was partially rescheduled for the summer of 2021, so every day has been a roller coaster here at CYPT. But we have faith the 2022 Festival will be good to go, so we’re moving forward!

Who can submit to Cannonball?

Any youth can submit to direct, write, design, stage manage, act, or work backstage. Directors are welcome to submit new plays by youth playwrights, or existing works if the performance rights are available. We also have a few plays that were cancelled during the pandemic that are now in need of a director, so feel free to ask us about those. If you have more questions about obtaining rights, scripts, or applying, come to our meeting in August!

The definition of youth is a bit flexible, but our focus is on youth. We’ll consider applications from artists under the age of 19, and will sometimes consider applications from recent graduates. We have had youth directors and playwrights as young as 13 and as old as 19 present their work in the festival. Applicants over the age of 19 are encouraged to submit to Sage Theatre’s Ignite Festival!

Can plays that were part of the cancelled 2021 festival be a part?

Yep! First choice in this year’s festival will go to plays that were cancelled in the 2021 Festival due to COVID-19, but not all of those plays CAN move forward due to directors or writers moving away for university. Please contact us if you have any concerns or questions.

When is the submission deadline?

Submissions for the 2022 Cannonball Festival are due September 30, 2021.

What should I include in my submission?

Well that’s a fabulous question. We will be posting a submissions list here in the coming weeks, but for now, start thinking about your “pitch” – why is your play exciting and perfect for Cannonball?